Sunday 18 September 2016

1.18 Family Part 3

“Scott,” says Legacy as she strides into the man’s room, “I got a gift for you.”

“Oh?” says Scott as he looks up from the piece of paper he is reading and glances at Legacy.

“While I know that you already have high quality replacement for your right arm,” says Legacy, “But I have created another one for you. As a thank you for all that you have done for me.”

And with that, Legacy holds out the synthetic arm that she has handcrafted. The arm is designed to fit to perfectly fit Scott and to replicate the human arm so it feels completely natural to Scott when he uses it.

“Ah, thank you Legacy,” replies Scott with emotion in his voice as he gets up out of his chair and steps away from his desk, “Would you like to put it on now?”

“Yes, I would,” replies Legacy, “I’m going to do it personally by the way.”

“I wouldn’t expect you not to do so,” says Scott with a smile as he holds his right arm out to Legacy.

Legacy smiles back at Scott before getting to work. Since her powers don’t work on Leo’s creations, Legacy has to manual detach Scott’s current prosthetic arm.

It is really annoying that I can’t use my powers on anything that Leo invented.

It can get irritating at times.

That’s an understatement.

Once the arm is removed, Legacy tosses it to one side before putting her own creation into place. Whilst she physically puts the synthetic arm into position, Legacy also interfaces with it via her technopathy.

She boots up the arm and links it with Scott’s body so he can naturally control it whilst fine tuning it where she can and optimising the hardware and software as best as she can.

Done.

You sound proud.

Why shouldn’t I be?

“I’m finished,” Legacy informs Scott as she steps back.

“It feels excellent,” says Scott as he twists and moves his new arm, trying it out for the first time.

As Scott inspects the arm, Legacy feels a mixture of emotions. Pride at her creation, joy at helping her father figure, excitement at the fact Scott will be using her creation, love for her father and-

System Failure

***

Rebooting
Honn Telaa/Tris
Lonn Telaa/Dorr-Tern Tus
Telaa Stor Onta/Seg-Tern Tus
Telaa Stor Seg/Tern Nin
Telaa Stor Tris/Seg-Tern Tris
Telaa Stor Dorr/Set-Tern Onta
Telaa Stor Tus/Tus-Tern Tris
Telaa Stor Sek/Sek-Tern Elk
Ronn Ler/Dorr-Tern Tris
Ronnn Ler/Tern Tus
Ronn Lerr/Tris-Tern Tus
Ronnn Lerr/Onta
Her-System Error
System Error
Rebooting
System Error
System Failure

***

Rebooting
Honn Telaa/Tus-Tern Elk
Lonn Telaa/Seg-Tern Dorr
Telaa Stor Onta-System Error
System Error
Rebooting
Rebooting
Rebooting
Rebooting
Rebooting

***

Rebooting
Rebooting
Reboot Successful
Ordic 28,708,648-Legacy of Guardian Successfully Restored

***

As consciousness returns to her, Legacy hears Scott’s voice ringing in her ears. She groans her body aches all over and her head is pounding with pain.

W-what happened?

Legacy, I’m an old AI.

Okay.

I have experienced over three billion years.

Yes, I know that already. You have told me before.

I am not immortal.

Of course you’re not.

I will die someday. It is just a matter of time.

Isn’t that the case for all things?

Debatably. None the less...

What Ceta?

Never mind Legacy. Just be prepare for events like this to happen again in periods of stress.

Periods of stress?

Just think about how many times you have ‘died’ and come back recently. And how much you have pushed your abilities to the limits.

Oh.

Do not worry about it Legacy. Focus on other things. Such as the fact that Scott is trying to talk to you.

Oh yeah.

“Legacy?” says Scott.

“Yes?” replies Legacy.

“Oh thank God,” mutters Scott, “What happened Legacy? Are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” replies Legacy, “I just had to reboot.”

“Reboot?” inquires Scott.

“Yeah,” says Legacy before deciding to explain further, “Ceta is old and I, me, us have been through a lot of stress recently and I’ve been putting her and my abilities through the paces and to their limits.”

“Oh, I see,” says Scott, “So Ceta is going through the stress of old age? How old is she anyway?”

“Over three billion years,” answers Legacy almost automatically.

“Three...” says Scott blankly before doing a double take, “Over three billion years! You got to be %$£&ing kidding me!”

“No...” replies Legacy nervously, not sure how to respond to Scott’s reaction.

“&%$£ing Hell,” mutters Scott, running his right hand through hair, “You haven’t got any reason to lie and lying isn’t your style anyway. But still....”

Legacy is silent as she doesn’t know what to say.

This isn’t exactly my area of expertise.

Perhaps the true extent of my age has come as a bit of a shock to him.

Indeed.

“Anyway, I would like your thoughts on my latest predicament,” says Scott, changing the subject much to Legacy’s relief, “And your assistance.”

“You will always have my assistance,” Legacy informs Scott.

“Yeah, I know you’ll have my back lass,” agrees Scott, “But let’s move onto the problem. I have a family outside of my siblings and parents.”

I know he has a brother. The one that threaten Leo in his own home.

“I have an ex-wife you see,” continues Scott as he picks up the piece of paper he was reading, “And I have a daughter, Alice. I even have a granddaughter. Anyway, me and my girl, we have been keeping irregular contact with each other, off and on. And now I got an email from Alice. And she has manifested powers. In a rather traumatic manner. And she wants to see me. Mainly because she is grasping out for any help she can get.”

Scott takes a deep breath.

“Anyway, I want to go and see her as well and I would like you to come with me,” says Scott, “For support.”

1 comment:

  1. And we get back to the original characters of this serial. Ceta is old and every machine brings down eventually. And Ceta is far from her peak and that isn't taking into account the fact that the Guardians have been putting her to her limits for the last few. But even then, Ceta wouldn't be having it this badly if it wasn't for that fact after she took significant, crippling damage when fighting and slaying Oblivion.

    Anyway, I got three ideas on where I am going to go with this. I will decided on which one once I get near that point, depending on what I think best suits the story at that point.

    As for the thing with Scott's family, that is just a plot excuse for Legacy and Scott to do something together. I got it all planned out for story continuity, but that will happen off-screen as I only intend to show out it affects Scott and Legacy.

    Next time, Legacy nags Ceta about 'her' supervillain past.

    ReplyDelete