Sunday 17 April 2016

Godslayer Arc 1.12 Miskara

“Come back you idiot!” yells Miskara Stormmistress, Champion of the Ti’darkei Order as she unleashes a blast of electricity at the fleeing coward with spikey black hair, “Stopping running away from me!”

“Bye Shocker,” says the Pakdar as the electricity disappears harmlessly as it makes contact with him.

How does he keep doing that! I checked his records. Drakvar Blackborn isn’t a Psychic. Then again, a lot of what I’ve been hearing about him lately doesn’t add up with official records.

A lot of things don’t match up with official records now I think about.

Wait! Don’t get distracted! The idiot is getting away!

“Don’t call me Shocker!” shrieks Miskara as she lets off another bolt of electricity, but she is too late as Blackborn has already fled.

As the stray electricity blast smashes into the street, Miskara stomps her foot in frustration. This is the fourth time that she and Drakvar have clashed. The first time was a couple of weeks ago where he utterly humiliated her.

But at least that was in private so her honour and that of the Ti’darkei Order wasn’t stained. And Blackborn actually took her seriously during that encounter. In the three encounters they have had this week, Blackborn just ignores her, mysteriously nullifies her attacks and runs off without bothering to fight back.

He treats me like a joke.

With Drakvar gone, Miskara checks her cloak and straightens it so it fully conceals her again. She needs to remain unrecognisable. If she was seen attacking a worthless low life, people would ask questions about what she is doing and why she is doing that. And eventually somebody would find out...well, Miskara doesn’t even want to think about that.

I better get back to the Keep. I’ve wasted enough time on the Pakdar and I don’t want to raise any suspicions by being out for too long.

***

“Miskara!” says a female voice as Miskara approaches Kar’mire Keep, “You’re back!”

Miskara turns to see Knight Sirakor Justmover of the Ti’darkei Order. The girl short pale brown fur and long ginger hair that is tied back in a ponytail.

Just like Miskara, Sirakor is wearing the white and gold plate armour of the Ti’darkei Order, complete with the Ti’darkei Crest on the breastplate.

Also like Miskara, Sirakor is a Pyschic with a rating for a mid-tier Level 4 while Miskara is one of the two known Level 6s. While Miskara uses her headset to manipulate electric fields, Sirakor uses her energy projectors wristbands to create force fields.

“Greetings Knight Sirakor,” replies Miskara, keeping things formal and professional whilst out in public.

I am the Champion of the Ti’darkei Order, the second largest Knightly Order and as of such, I must prove myself worthy of holding such a title and hold myself to the highest standards. Being Sirakor’s friend can wait until we are private.

“So formal,” mutters Sirakor under her breath so that only Miskara can hear it with her supernaturally good hearing.

She has to understand that I can’t be seen being unprofessional. There were so many others that could have taken the position of Champion and instead I got it. I need to show people that I am deserving such an honour.

 “Where is your Page?” asks Miskara.

“Uri is waiting up in my quarters in de Keep,” replies Sirakor, “She is showing your page around.”

“Page Satri Roken?” inquires Miskara as they walk past the Knights guarding the gates into Kar’mire Keep, “So my new page has arrived?”

“Yes,” answers Sirakor, “Shall we head up to your quarters to meet her den?”

“Of course,” answers Miskara, noting that what Sirakor really means is “let’s go somewhere private where you’ll actually talk to me”.

There is a companionable silence between the two of them as they make their way to the upper levels at rear of the Keep, the location of both Miskara’s quarters and Sirakor’s quarters.

“So Miskara,” says Sirakor as they enter Miskara’s quarters and she closes the door behind them, “Now we’re in private, are you going to tell me what is going on?”

I was just out on personal business,” replies Miskara evasively, not wanting to tell even her closest friend what she has truly been up to.

For her part, Sirakor just sits down on Miskara’s bed and sighs.

“Don’t worry Miskara, I get it,” says the Kith girl, “You’re just spending time as Miskara de adolescent girl rather dan Miskara de Champion of de Ti’darkei Order. And to do dat, you have keep it secret.”

Not the entire truth, but it will do. At least I’m not outright lying to my best friend.

“So what is Page Roken like?” inquires Miskara.

“I personally don’t know dat much about her, but my own Page Uri does,” replies Sirakor, “Dey are cousins as a matter of fact. Uri says she will be good for the job and I trust her judgement. Oh, and from what Uri told me, Satri will be more than capable of tolerating your eccentricities and keeping dem keeping secret.”

“I wouldn’t call myself eccentric,” mutters Miskara defensively.

“Neither would I if you were if you were just a normal person or even a normal Knight,” says Sirakor, “But ever since you became Champion, you have really changed your habits.”

1 comment:

  1. And so we get to see things from the side of Drakvar's rival and future love interest. One thing I like about Miskara's character is that she is powerful and has strong principles, but has given a high position at a young age. As a result, the girl is very insecure and it shows.

    Anyway, next time Drakvar and Valen begin their hunt for Paliyil.

    ReplyDelete