Saturday 16 April 2016

1.13 Quest Part 6

“So this is what I think it is?” asks Nicola as she and Legacy walk towards the restaurant, their arms locked together.

“Yes, this will be our first date,” replies Legacy.

Her gown is green and purple whilst Nicola’s is in black and gold. Using the virtual reality settings, Legacy has grown her hair out long again at Nicola’s request while Nicola is wearing hers up in a fancy hairdo of her own choosing.

“It’ll be my first date as well,” replies Nicola, “You know, I always thought my first significant other would be the opposite gender to mine.”

“I understand such things are generally the case for humans,” says Legacy, “Those that date the same gender as their own are in the minority.”

“Yeah,” mutters Nicola before perking up as she looks over at Legacy, “But I don’t mind because you are wonderful person Legacy, even if you are rather weird. Plus you are so powerful and dangerous. And cute. We can’t forget that last one now.”

May I ask you a question?” asks Legacy as they enter the restaurant together.

“Sure,” replies Nicola as she pulls Legacy slightly closer.

“What is cute?” asks Legacy, “You describe my body that way, but I don’t understand it. I am aware it relates to attraction to one’s physical form, but as I have told you, I don’t feel that and there is no clear definition for what is ‘cute’.”

“Now how to explain that….” mutters Nicola as a waitress shows them to their table.

“You don’t explain the term in general, just what you mean when you say I’m cute to you,” clarifies Legacy.

“Oh, that is much easier,” says Nicola as they sit down at the round wooden table, Nicola on one side with Legacy on the other, “You see, you look attractive to me because you have a pretty face, a good figure, a nice butt and big breasts. So for a non-Aphrodite, you pretty good looking. Normally I would consider someone who looks like you to be hot, but your actions make you seem cute rather than sexy. And it doesn’t help that Aphrodites are giving unrealistic examples of hotness and sexiness so someone such as yourself who is conventionally hot or sexy, seems less so by comparison.”

“Oh,” says Legacy as before passing the menu to Nicola, “I will be going with the streak and roasted potatoes with a salad on the side. For my drink, I’m having a bottle of apple and peach cordial. Those are my favourites.”

“You know the menu well,” says Nicola in an amused voice as she looks at the menu.

“I was the one who programmed the menu and all the food,” explains Legacy, “Well, Ceta and I did anyway.”

“So what have you been doing?” asks Nicola.

“I’ve been making this world in addition aiding my team by shifting through data,” replies Legacy, “Due to how much faster time goes in the cyber world, Gears and Sentinel just sent me large amounts of data and I just go through it all since I can do it much faster than they can. I find out the important bits and then every now and again, they pop in to find out what I have found out.”

“It sounds boring,” says Nicola before calling the waitress over.

“Not for me,” replies Legacy, “I enjoy going through the data. It is both productive and helpful to my teammates.”

“And that is one of the things I like about you,” says Nicola as the waitress comes over, “I’ll have a lamb shank with dumplings. I liked it when my mother used to make them.”

Used to?

Legacy gives her order as well before turning back to Nicola, “You don’t mind that I’m not physically attracted to you?”

“I’m a bit annoyed by it since I have such an awesome body,” admits Nicola begrudgingly, “But I’m glad I don’t have to worry about dating someone who is only into my body and not me as a person.”

“May I ask you a personal question?” inquires Legacy.

“Shoot,” replies Nicola.

“Since you have only had an Aphrodite body since you got your powers and we only met after you got your powers, what did you look like before?” asks Legacy.

“Oh, well, very different actually,” replies Nicola, “I was short, a bit overweight and a tad ugly. Which is one of the reasons I like my current body so much. My sister Emily was and still is jealous since she was the fit, athletic one out of us and worked hard to end up looking only a quarter as good as I do.”

“Do still get on with each other?” inquires Legacy.

“We get on great,” replies Nicola with a smile before it fades from her face as she continues, “It is the rest of my family that can’t stand my body and powers. My father refused to speak with me or even just look at me while my mother and I argue whenever we talk these days. And of my extended family, the only one I talk with is my Uncle Conrad. I’m honestly considering moving out from my mother and father.”

“I don’t have those problems,” says Legacy.

“Only because you chose your family,” retorts Nicola sharply before calming down, “Ah, sorry for snapping like that. Talking about my family is a touchy subject for me.”

“I understand,” says Legacy soothingly, “When I get my physical body back, I would like to meet your sister.”

“Emily would love that,” says Nicola and her smile returns to her face before vanishing once again just as quickly, “She has been wanting to meet my girlfriend for a while now. Unfortunately our mother refuses to let her get a virtual reality helmet as it was invented by a Gadgeteer. She is a True Humanity supporter while Father actually is a member of True Humanity.”

“True Humanity?” inquires Legacy, knowing she won’t like the answer.

“Bigots who hate parahumans, claiming we aren’t proper humans anymore,” explains Nicola, her face distorting in disgust, “Some are pretty mild and somewhat reasonable while others are violent extremists. Most are just loudmouthed bigots mind you. I can’t believe some people think that me and you aren’t human just because we got superpowers.”

“Let’s us move onto a different subject,” suggests Legacy, deciding not to bring up the fact that her powers are the result of advanced technology nor the fact that she isn’t actually human.

“Yeah, let’s,” agrees Nicola as their food arrives. 

1 comment:

  1. So this Legacy's and Nic's first date. One thing I like about writing these two is that their personalities and lives are the opposites of each other.

    Anyway, this is the end of Chapter 13 and Chapter 14 will be the beginning of Legacy's final arc. Well, for the first book at least. I'm still undecided on whether to continue to continue with thise story or start a new one. I mucked things up a little, but I put time and energy into constructing this universe so I'm leaning towards a sequel set after a time skip.

    Next time, an interlude in which Joan gets interviewed.

    ReplyDelete