Sunday 14 February 2016

Godslayer - Arc 1.4 Valen

“What happened to you?” asks Jordis as Drakvar finally returns as the day draws to a close.

“I was attacked a couple of times,” replies Drakvar as he drops the bag of food down, “Second time was just some Darklurker thugs. I took a couple of blows, but I dealt with them pretty easily.”

I’m glad that past me still had some money left over in his financial accounts.

“What about de first fight?” inquires Jordis as she quickly begins to rummage through the bag, “Is dat why you are all cut up?”

“Yes,” replies Drakvar, “I fought this weird girl made of white light. She claimed to be a Jord Warrior-Spirit of Light.”

“Oh, dat sounds like Solara,” replies Jordis casually as she pulls out a can of kanon beans.

“You know her?” says Drakvar as he looks at Jordis in mild surprise.

“Yep,” answers Jordis, “She was one of my bodyguards when I was travelling outside of Jorvic territory. So how exactly are you planning to cook dis?”

“You know the spirit-girl?” says Drakvar, ignoring Jordis’ question.

“Yeah, she and Valen were my protectors before we got split up,” explains Jordis as she tosses the can of beans at Drakvar, “We got attacked by de Children of the Forest and dey held dem off while I escaped. I made my way here to Kar’mire and den I found you. I guess Solara tracked me here and mistook you for a member of de Children due to dat fact you have some of their shadow-blades. But you never answered my question.”

“So I got attacked and beaten up simply because one of your friends mistook me for one of your attackers,” grumbles Drakvar as he tosses the can into the air and catches it again, “How unfortunate.”

“Hey Drakvar!” complains Jordis as she whacks him on the back of the head, “You still haven’t told me how you are planning to cook our food!”

“Sorry,” replies Drakvar as he tosses the can back at Jordis, “And why can’t you cook the food?”

“Because feeding me is your job stupid!” replies Jordis as she lobs the can at Drakvar’s head after catching it.

He sighs as the can of beans bounces off his head.

I don’t even know if feeding her is actually my job! That said, I’m the one without my memories while Jordis has all of hers. I best go out and find a way to cook the food I have brought.

***

With night fallen, Drakvar makes his way through the now empty streets. As he turns a corner, Drakvar hears a heavy thud. He looks down the street just in time to see an unconscious Darklurker hit the floor of the street.

Drakvar looks at the tall Kith male in the middle of the street. The Kith is extremely tall at almost three metres high and is relatively thin as despite his height, he is about a wide a normal Kith.

While he can see the red hair on the Kith’s head, Drakvar can’t see the colour of the Kith’s fur as he is wearing a black leather duster coat with white robes similar to Jordis’ beneath.

“Ah,” says the Kith as he spots Drakvar standing at the end of the street, “So you are de Farksian dat Solara fought earlier.”

“No,” replies Drakvar honestly as while he may have fought Solara earlier, he most certainly isn’t a Farksian.

“Den where did you get dose swords and all of dose glass cuts,” retorts the Kith as he draws a smoking pipe from inside his coat, “I am no fool so don’t try and play me for one.”

The Kith holds out an open hand and within it, a sphere of bright white light forms out of nothing.
That isn’t good.

“I’ll be honest,” drawls the Kith, “Dese bandits really haven’t been giving me a challenge. Let us see if you will fare better against me.”

The sphere shoots from the hand and zooms towards Drakvar, blossoming and expanding as it flies through the air. As the light-sphere soars towards him, Drakvar dashes to the side and jumps out of the way of the light-sphere as it slams into the ground where he just stood.

“Hmm, I can see what Solara was talking about,” muses the Kith as Drakvar draws his four blades, “De light just disappeared once it made contact with you.”

“Who are you?” demands Drakvar.

“I am Valen Greatflame,” declares the Kith as he strides towards Drakvar, “I am de Protector of Jordis Sunblade, Knight of de Northern Church and Fifth Circle Mage of Light and Fire! And you, Farksian scum, shall fall before my might. Lightsword! Flamesword!”

And with those final two words, a sword made of white light appears in the upper left hand of Valen and a sword made of burning flames appears his upper right hand.

“Now let’s see how well your powers fare against somebody that can actually hit you,” says Valen as he charges at Drakvar.

Despite not wanting to fight another of Jordis’ protectors when they really should be on the same side, Drakvar also charges, deciding that he wants to live even more so.

Drakvar swings a blade at Valen, who easily parries it with his sword of light. With an opening available to him, Valen swings his sword of fire at Drakvar. He tries to block it, but is easily outclassed when it comes to sword fighting and fails.

However the blade of the fire sword disappears without harming Drakvar as it makes contact with him and Drakvar doesn’t feel any heat from the sword either.

But Valen isn’t so easily beaten as while Drakvar is focused on the flame sword, the Kith slams a fist into Drakvar’s chest, which is swiftly followed by a punch to the face.

Drakvar grunts in pain and makes a feeble slash at Valen which is casually countered. Valen continues his assault on Drakvar, kicking Drakvar in the knee to keep him off balance before upper cutting him in the face with a brutal blow.

Drakvar is sent flying backwards and crashes face up into the street. In his fall, Drakvar lost his grip on three of his four swords. With annoyed snarl, Drakvar gets to his feet and sheathes his last sword.

“You’re an idiot!” shouts Drakvar as he charges straight at Valen, rapidly covering ground.

“By Mithias-” starts Valen in shock at Drakvar’s speed, only to be cut off as Drakvar smashes a fist into his face.

“Now listen to me you fool,” hisses Drakvar as Valen goes tumbling backwards, “I am not a Farksian. I don’t even know what a “Farksian” is. I got my swords from one of Jordis’ attackers when I rescued her. Since then, I have been looking after her. I can take you to her if you wish.”

“Dat...would be appreciated,” replies Valen begrudgingly as he gets to his feet and retrieves his smoking pipe.

1 comment:

  1. So not much to say about this segment. With this side story, I mainly want to let the story of the characters get told as it. I'll probably only use the comment section to explain the world as more worldbuilding gets into the side story.

    What I will say here is that at the time of this being written, I write Legacy about twice as much as I do Godslayer. Hence why I update Legacy twice a week and Godslayer once.

    Anyway, next time on Godlsayer, someone recognisable from Legacy will show up.

    ReplyDelete