Friday 19 February 2016

1.10 Dinner Part 5

“Joan,” says a voice, causing Joan to look up.

It has been a couple of hours since dinner ended and Joan is just about to go to bed. She has just been spending some time in the family library, her favourite place in her new home.

Rather than spend the time in her finery, Joan has changed into her more comfortable PJs, warm purples ones with pictures of white butterflies all over them.

Marcy got them for me since I have out grown all the ones I was using before being hospitalised.

“Huh,” mutters a weary Joan as she recognises the speaker as her eldest sister Breanne, the firstborn of the Fowler siblings.

“Hello Joan,” says Bree as she sits down in the chair next to Joan’s, “Mind if I speak with you for a bit?”

“Not at all,” replies Joan, wondering what Bree wants to talk about.

We have never really connected to one another. Not due to failing to get along with each other, we always did that great, but because I’m the youngest while she is the oldest. Eight years as a matter of fact. Not exactly something you can ignore.

“Well, first I wanted to say I’m glad you gotten better,” says Bree, “It was horrible seeing you just get worse and worse over the years and not being able to do anything about it. And I know I wasn’t the best sister to you because of that even though I should have been. I should have been there for you. None of us were.”

“Leo was there for me,” mutters Joan absent-mindedly as she closes her book and puts down on the table next to her.

“Yeah, he was,” agrees Bree before looking Joan in the eye, “You two really do love each other don’t you?”

“Yeah,” answers Joan as she blushes.

“I think it’s sweet,” says Bree, “I hope it lasts. I really do.”

“Thank you,” replies Joan, “So is that all you wanted to talk about?”

“I guess so,” replies Bree, “We don’t really have that much in common. I mean you’re still in high school while I’m an actress that lives in a different state.”

“I know what you mean,” mutters Joan.

“Yeah,” says Bree, “The only things we have in common is that we’re sisters and that we’re both the only members of our families without powers.”

“How do you feel about that?” asks Joan, curious to see how her sister feels on the matter.

“I’m only a little jealous,” answers Bree with a shrug, “You how annoying it is for the rest of the family do just be able to break the laws of physics on a whim don’t you and you can’t don’t you?”

“Yeah,” agrees Joan, “But I can’t really complain. I benefited greatly from Abby’s powers.”

“I won’t deny that,” says Bree, “And I won’t deny that I’m a little bitter. You see, I used to have the best looks of our family except for Mum in her prime and now everybody is an Aphrodite or Adonis. None of them have to worry about bras, make up, sweating and all the other icky body things.”

“I wish I had to worry about bras,” says Joan sourly.

“Don’t worry about that,” Bree tells her soothingly, “You got a wonderful and caring boyfriend who loves for who you are, not for your looks.”

“That is one of the things I like about Leo,” replies Joan, “He doesn’t care about what I look like. Most boys don’t give a second look and none of those that do don’t do it for my looks.”

“What do they look at for then?” inquires Bree.

“Oh, the boys at school just want to see Leo’s mysterious girlfriend,” giggles Joan, feeling pleased with herself, “You see, Leo is one of the top students at school who is not only super smart, but also super handsome and fit. And yet he only has eyes for one girl. I also get a lot of looks from the girls who have crushes on Leo. Mostly jealous ones.”

None of them stand a chance! Leo is the ultimate prized boyfriend and he is all mine.

“But none of them pick on you?” asks Bree.

“Nah, too afraid of Leo’s direct or indirect retaliation,” replies Joan, “Same goes for everybody else. In fact, they would much rather take on Leo directly than go after me. That would probably better for their health as well.”

“Anyway, I’ll be going now,” says Bree as she gets up, “I will keep in better contact with you even if I can’t be here in person.”

“Oh, I can count on you sis,” replies Joan, “I’m going to start watching some of the shows you star in now.”

“Just make sure they’re for children,” laughs Bree as she heads for the door.

As her sister leaves the library, Joan internally debates whether to stay in the library or go up to her room. After a few seconds, she decides on the latter as it is getting late.

As she heading down on the corridors to her room, Joan pauses outside a room as she hears voices speaking inside.

“-I don’t know,” says her Mother.

“It is a good offer,” replies Abby, “I don’t trust her either, but we should at least consider the offer instead of rejecting it out of hand.”

What offer? What are they talking about? Who are they talking about?

“I know, I know,” says Mother, “You know I have always felt guilty about her condition.”

“It isn’t your fault she is like that,” replies Abby, “That’s no proof. It’s just your guilt talking.”

Wait, who are they talking about? They might be talking about me. I still have my condition and Mother might blame herself because she gave birth to me.

“Yes it is,” disagrees Mother, “I was the one who tried to have her aborted, but didn’t go through with it. I didn’t want another child at the time, but I just couldn’t deny her life in the end. And I’m certain it was the pills I took that caused Joan to be born defective.”

Joan freezes as she pales.

Nonononononono!

She runs off down the corridor towards her room, tears streaking down her face and her crying echoing throughout the silent corridor.

1 comment:

  1. So one thing I want to state about this segment is the idea of Joan's condition being caused by her mother trying to have an abortion was something I came up with before she was even introduced into the story. For the record, her condition was caused by that and even if her mother hadn't tried to have an abortion, Joan would have ended up the same way.

    But nobody in-universe knows that and I felt it would be nice thing to introduce into the story. From a narrative standpoint. Not that it will ever be a big thing to Joan, but just sort of there in the background in things that involve Joan and her mother.

    I would have introduced it sooner, but I am hesitant to write things like this. Big things like this, I don't like to include in my stories without doing the proper research and making sure I get it write. I personally hate when other authors, writers and creators include big, controversial things in their works solely for the shock factor and as a result, I actively try to avoid doing that myself.

    So next time, Abby tries to calm down and comfort Joan in addition to explaining what the offer is.

    ReplyDelete