Friday 12 February 2016

1.10 Dinner Part 3

“One of the kindest people I have ever met,” replies Abby reassuringly, “You’ll get on great with her.”

“So what kind of Abnormal is she?” inquires Leo.

“Humanoid plant person,” answers Abby, “Sort of like a dryad. Her main power is her siren voice while she has some pretty good regen and can shapeshift as long as she remains plant-like. Some enhanced speed, reflexes and senses on the side, nothing above D class mind you. I should also mention that she can emit spores to affect people and animals in various ways. So do you like the dress I choose for you Joan?

“Oh yes,” replies Joan as she gives Abby a bright smile, “But I wasn’t aware I had anything like this.”

“You didn’t,” says Leo, “Abigail just morphed one of your old pieces of clothing into it.”

“I hope you don’t mind,” replies Abby with a shrug as they enter one of the living rooms where two people are snogging inside, “Hello Marcy, Diana. Joan and Leo are here.”

Joan notes that Marcy is in her default form rather than having shapeshifted into a more normal looking one.

I like this form better. She looks so awesome with long gold hair, shining silver skin and those freaking awesome angel wings. Besides, Marcy shouldn’t have to hide what she looks like.

The other woman is clearly Marcy’s girlfriend Diana. Joan would class her as an Aphrodite if it weren’t for her leafy hair with flowers in it, her pale green skin and deep green eyes. And to top it all off, Diana is wearing a pink flowery dress.

“Hello Marcy!” says Joan as she dashes over to her sister.

“Hi there Joan,” replies Marcy as she and Joan embrace each other in a hug, “Good to see you again. I hope you don’t mind this form.”

“Not at all,” replies Joan, “You look awesome like that. Your skin even feels like nice, smooth metal, but soft at the same time. Can I feel your wing?”

“Sure,” says Marcy as she lets go of Joan.

Joan reaches out and touches one of Marcy’s wings.

The feathers are so soft.

“You haven’t met Diana yet have you?” says Marcy as she hefts Joan with one arm, causing Joan to squeal slightly in surprise, “Diana, this is my sister Joan. The one I was telling you about.”

“Hello Joan,” says Diana awkwardly as Marcy puts Joan down in front of her, “How are you?”

“I’m great,” replies Joan, “So what is like be all planty or...or is that a sore subject for you?”

 “Not at all!” replies Diana instantly, “You really are as adorable as Marcy told me.”

“Thanks!” beams Joan.

“No problem,” says Diana, “Mind if I give you a hug? You’re just such a cute and adorable little squirt.”

“Nope,” replies Joan and the plant woman embraces Joan.

Joan hugs Diana back, noting how weird her skin feels.

Like a plant quite unsurprisingly.

“Here you go,” says Diana as she lets Joan go.

“What is it?” asks Joan, looking around.

“You got a white rose in your hair,” answers Leo as he walks up to her, “It looks very pretty.”
Joan blinks as an image of her flashes into her head, showing the rose into her hair.

I thought you might want to see what it like sis.

Thanks Abby.

“Thank you,” Joan tells Diana.

“No problem,” says Diana, “So this is your boyfriend?”

“Leonard Orrell Geary,” says Leo, holding his hand out, “Call me Leo.”

“Hello,” replies Diana shaking Leo’s hand, “So what are your powers?”

Joan freezes and begins to freak out internal.

Oh no. How did Diana figure out that Leo is a parahuman? He’s supposed to have a secret identity for crying out loud! I didn’t blow it did I?

“Oh, I don’t have any powers,” replies Leo with a slight shake of his head.

Wow, he lies so smoothly. If I didn’t know otherwise, I would totally believe him. Wait, is Leo being a good liar something I should be pleased about? He could totally lie to me and I wouldn’t know about it.

“Um,” says Diana flustered as she pulls her hand away, “I just sort of assumed from your looks and intelligence you’re a Bellator. Plus Marcy said you are immune to her Siren Voice.”

“I’m just blessed with good genes,” replies Leo, “And I’m not immune to it. I can sense it in my head, I just sort of ignore it. I think it has something to do with the fact that I am asexual.”

“So you got a Siren Voice as well,” says Joan in an attempt to steer the conversation in a different direction.

“Yes, yes I do,” replies Diana as Joan snuggles up next to Leo, “But don’t worry, I won’t use it on you.”

“Oh, I don’t mind if you do,” Joan tells her, “As long as it is only minor stuff. I’m fine with family and friends using their powers to mess with me a little as long as it is fun and games. I only care if they do it for serious things or selfish reasons or when I really don’t want them to.”

“I get that,” says Diana, “Totally makes sense. But I still won’t my powers on you.”

“Okay, suit yourself,” replies Joan.

“Oh!” says Marcy suddenly, “I have a gift for you sis! I’ll go and get before I forget again.”

Joan blinks as one moment Marcy is there and the next she has vanished.

She must have teleported. I wonder what that is like, just being about to appear in a different place on a whim. I bet it’s really cool.

“So how is school going?” asks Diana.

“Rather well,” replies Joan, “I’m not the best, but I’m pretty smart so I do well when it comes to classwork and grades. When it comes to social stuff, I hang out with Leo, Allison or Charlie. Allison is a former friend of mine and one of Leo’s while Charlie is Leo’s best friend.”

Plus I can just ask Abby for help when I need to. Not that she always gives it to me.

“No trouble with anybody picking on you?” inquires Diana and Joan laughs.

“No one would dare mess with Leo,” laughs Joan, “He can take anybody there in a straight up fight and he is more than making them suffer indirectly.”

“No anti-super people giving you trouble?” asks Diana, “Because of your family?”

“Leo,” Joan states simply as Marcy teleports back.

“Here you go,” says Marcy as she holds a CD case out to Joan, “One of the copies of my newly released single.”

“Thank you,” says Joan as she accepts the gift.

1 comment:

  1. The hardest part about this segment is showing off Diana's personality. In my head, I picture her as a kind, nice person who likes her new powers, but at the same time, she is wary of how other people are going to treat her because of her powers.

    I feel I have done a decent job in properly portraying her.

    As for Diana thinking that Leo was a parahuman, it is because he can easily get mistaken for a Bellator. Mainly because he is. But most of his powers are internal and Leo is able to take this sort of things in stride and is able to respond without giving anything away. Honestly, I always felt that for a superhero to maintain their secret identity, they would have to be a really good liar.

    Anyway next time, Joan chats with Alexis.

    ReplyDelete