Wednesday 10 February 2016

1.10 Dinner Part 2

To cover her embarrassment, Joan looks down at the outfit Abby has chosen for her.

It is a silver dress with a flowing skirt and a tight bodice that only covers her right shoulder and lops around underneath her left armpit. Where the left sleeve is non-existent, the right one goes right down to her waist. The skirt is wavy and reaches all the way down to about halfway between her knees and ankles. The shoes are silver like the dress and while very flat, technically count as high heels or perhaps just heels. Joan doesn’t know for sure.

“Wow,” says Joan, slightly stunned, “I look brilliant.”

“That you do dear,” replies Leo as he pulls her towards him, “Are you okay?”

“Nothing much,” answers Joan as she rests her head against Leo’s shoulder, “I was just thinking about how powerless and helpless I am against parahumans. You know how it is?”

“Not personally, but I understand where you’re coming from,” replies Leo as they walk towards the gates leading to the mansion, “With my power, I never have to worry about mental things such as people messing with my mind or taking control of my body. And physical things, well. I’m a D+ Bellator with some C- elements when it comes to speed, reaction times and that sort of stuff so normal folks can’t match me. And when it comes to parahumans, I just invent things to even the playing fields. As a result, I don’t know what it is like to be powerless and helpless. Not like a normal person would anyway.”

Man, Leo really is super ultra awesome. And he is all mine. Mine and Jaylyn that is.

“You are so cool,” gushes Joan as Leo pushes a button and the gates open, “The thing is that I’m not bothered by my sisters using their powers on me. I don’t mind family using their powers to mess with me a little. In fact, I’m usually encouraging them to. It’s just, well, I enjoy it when it is someone I trust, but if it were a stranger...”

“I know what you mean,” says Leo as Joan tightens her grip on his hand, “It is okay when family or close friends do it, but is awful and terrifying somebody you don’t know or don’t trust does it. I can think of a few things like that. And if a stranger does try to use their powers to mess with you, they’ll only do so once.”

At that last part, Joan looks up at Leo’s face just in time to glimpse a dangerous look to his face before it goes away.

Whoa. I’ve never seen Leo look like that. Others have told me about what Leo can get like and I’ve seen Gears in action, but never seen that side to Leo before.

***

“Hello Joan! Hello Leo!” Abby greets them as the duo enters the entrance hall of the building.

It is so weird thinking of this place as home. I grew up here, but I spent the last two years of my life confined to a single room. Now it feels like a place where some rich people live and I don’t belong. Leo’s base feels more like home than here.

Man does Abby look so freaking beautiful.

Abby is wearing a stunning white evening gown to go with her stunning figure. Her hair is done up at the back in a bun with it going in swirls along the side. Just looking at her makes Joan feel pathetic.

I’m going to be the only girl without curves here. Even Breanne naturally has D cups and an hourglass figure. I’m so flat I don’t even need to wear bras.

“Hell Abigail,” replies Leo with a slight bow, “What are you doing out here?”

“Since I’m the only one without a date tonight, I’m greeting people as they come in,” explains Abby, “You guys are the second couple to arrive. Mum and Dad were already here while Marcy and Diana have already arrived.”

“Diana?” inquires Joan as she doesn’t know anybody called Diana.

“Marcy’s girlfriend,” answers Abby.

“Wait, Marcy’s bi?” asks Joan, confused as she remembers Marcy only dating boys in the past, “Since when?”

“Since her manifestation,” answers Abby, “Same with me, Alex and Irwin. Mum and Dad are still straight by the way.”

“So how is Alexis?” asks Leo.

“She is getting better,” replies Abby, “Soon she will be able to walk without using her flight.”
Joan is silent as she thinks about Alex. Her superhero sister survived the fight with Armageddon, but both of her legs were shattered. While her regeneration means that she will get better, the extent of the injuries means that even a week later, Alex isn’t fully healed.

At least Alex can use her flight to hover so she doesn’t need a wheelchair or clutches. And it could have been worse. Alexandria is still in hospital for example while Iceforge lost half of her right leg and they almost had to remove the other half. I’m surprised that more didn’t die against Armageddon. I know Leo said that the Harbinger was holding back, but still...

“Just so you know, Diana is another Abnormal and without any shapeshifting or other method to appear normal,” says Abby as she walks inwards with them, leaving a duplicate behind to stand guard at the entrance, “She is also a singer with Siren Voice as one of her powers. In addition to dating, Marcy and Diana are planning to start a band together.”

“What is Diana like?” asks Joan nervously.

1 comment:

  1. So my main thoughts whilst writing and proofreading this is how hard it is to write things following the voice of a character, especially when the character views thing differently from you.

    For Legacy, I try and write her as a black and white point of view that understands grey that is rather utilitarian and takes weird things in her stride, treating them as normal.

    For Leo, I try and write him as a smart and logical person who has weirdness happen around him and to him and treating such weirdness as normal if acknowledging it as weird. I also try and give him a hint of over-protectiveness when it comes to his loved ones.

    For Joan, I always pictured her a typical girl who quickly accepts the new weirdness of the world and embraces it. Of these three, I found her the hardest to write as her perspective is the furthest from my own. Just imagine my joy when I realised that girls and boys didn't have any inherent differences in how they spoke!

    Speaking of my own perspective, one of the things I try and do is avoid having characters that share my view of the world. It helps that characters that have similar viewpoints to my own soon diverge as events happen to them in the story.

    Anyway, I haven't actually spoken much about this segment. Plot wise, it doesn't do much, but character wise, it helps show Joan's perspective on the world.

    Next time, Joan meets her sister Marcelle and her girlfriend Diana.

    ReplyDelete