Friday 5 February 2016

1.10 Dinner Part 1

“Almost ready,” says Joan to her boyfriend as Leo waits outside the room, “Abby is just telling how to put make-up.”

“You don’t need to wear make-up,” replies Leo, “You look just fine without it.”

“This is a formal dinner that my mother has invited us to,” replies Joan, “Both Mother and Father will be there, not to mention all of my siblings and their dates. I know it is a private affair in our family home, but that is still a mansion and I haven’t seen Bree or Irvin in absolutely ages. I want to make a good impression.”

Besides I look absolutely ugly due to my illness. I don’t to show up looking like a freak when everybody, but Bree is a parahuman. And Bree is naturally beautiful looking even if she can’t match the supernatural beauty of an Aphrodite or Adonis.

Don’t worry about sis. You look fine.

But I’ll never be beautiful like you.

You never know. Perhaps you’ll get your own powers someday.

You think so Abby?

Those connected to a parahuman are more likely to become parahumans themselves with the chance growing more likely with each parahuman they have ties to. A stronger connection also strengthens the chance of manifesting.

How do you know that?

Guardian has data on parahumans that she has gathered over her past lives. Gears passed it on to the government and now the eggheads are trying to confirm the data or prove their own theories right. Those trying to do the latter are fortunately in the minority.

The data also says that parahumans are more likely to be adolescent females which you are. I would also like to state that you have ties not only to Leo, but to myself and every other superpowered member of our family.

Sweet. But I won’t get my hopes up. I’m less likely to be disappointed that way.

Joan.

Yes Abby?

You’re doing your make-up pretty badly. Do you want me to take control and do it for you?

Yes please. I want to look pretty as I can.

Joan feels her sister taking control of her body via their mental link. There is nothing that Joan can do to stop Abby and that will never feel okay to her.

On the other hand, it is pretty cool. Just having your body move on its own without you being in control. At least it is when somebody you trust is doing it and it is temporary. Otherwise you would be a prisoner in your own body.

“Hey Leo,” says Abby using Joan’s body and voice, “Abby here. I’m just helping Joan put on her make-up right because she is doing such a shoddy job.”

“Okay,” replies Leo, “How much longer do I have to wait?”

“Only a few minutes,” replies Abby.

As Joan sits back in her mind and watches her body move without any input from her, she spots somebody approaching her in her mentalscape.

The person is a brightly shining woman in a toga with glowing skin and tall enough that Joan’s head only reaches her chest.

“Hello Magicka!” says Joan as Abby’s Companion approaches her, “Nice to see you again.”

You could see me more often if you let Abby have control more often,” points out Divine Magicka as she floats up next to Joan.

I’ll pass on that,” replies Joan, “I want to live my life as much as I can now I have the chance to. Any reason you are here?”

You are Abigail’s sister and she wishes for you to be happy,” answers Magicka, “And so I will make you feel happiness.”

“How-?” Joan starts to ask, but is cut off as the Companion pulls her into a tight embrace.

Joan relaxes as Magicka’s warm glow washes over her, inducing a state of euphoria in Joan. She fully gives in to a moment later, her body going limp as she slides into Divine Magicka’s inhuman body.

I could stay like this forever.

If it were up to me, you would.

I would be okay with that.

Hey sis. We’re here.

Wait what?

Joan feels Divine Magicka letting go and pulling away. She groans internally as that totally awesome sensation she was feeling go away.

I don’t want it to end.

Pay attention Joan. We’ve home.

Home. It has only been my home for a week. My hospital room has been my home for the last two years.

Better get used to leaving with Mum, Dad, Marcy and Alex then. You might want to check yourself out before you go in. I chose an outfit to do with your make up. Speaking of which, I used my power a little to help with the make-up.

Cool! Thanks!

Joan focuses on the real world again and looks around her. She is just outside the entrance to the Fowler Family Mansion and is holding hands with Leo.

“Oh, hi there,” says Joan, “You look good.”

Leo is wearing his best formal clothing. He would wear a suit except for the fact he doesn’t own one. Instead Leo is wearing thick navy blue trousers and a patterned button up shirt with long sleeves. On top of that he is wearing his brown hooded jacket instead of his usual green raincoat.

“Thank you,” replies Leo, “You look good as well by the way. You were busy with Divine Magicka so Abby walked you over here with me.”

“Umm, I was fine by the way,” mutters Joan as she blushes.

I like what Divine Magicka did to me, but that doesn’t mean I want other people to know about it. It makes me realise how powerless and helpless I am against parahumans like that. I was powerless against Divine Magicka when she put me under her power. 

1 comment:

  1. So this Chapter was an interlude that ended up growing large enough as I was writing it for me to decide to make it into a full chapter. I know I said this in the last comment, but it feels appropriate to state this here as well.

    Anyway, the main part of this chapter is show some more perspective on Joan, something which is a result of it originally going to be an interlude from her perspective.

    I also wanted to show how helpless normal people can be against parahuman, even trusted and benevolent ones such as Abby. Especially when the norms are unable to tell them no or parahumans don't listen or take them seriously. I would use Leo or Legacy, but neither of them would abusive their powers, even accidentally and I can't exactly imagine them being on the recieving end without using their abilities to resist. Which renders the point of showing how normals are helpless against high level parahumans moot.

    But using Abby and Joan works well as I feel Joan has been developed enough in the story at this point in time and Abby is a prefect example of how even well meaning and genuinely good parahumans can accidentally abuse their powers without even realising.

    As for next time, the chapter mainly just continues. (Sorry about the lateness of this chapter, at the time of release, XCOM 2 had just come out and I spent pretty much the entire day playing. Steam said over 14 hours and I think I stopped for lunch...I ate it at my computer.)

    ReplyDelete