Sunday 10 January 2016

Interlude - Abigail

Abby pauses as she and Joan are about to formalise her becoming her...servant.

It isn’t really her becoming my servant. I’m just helping out my little sis.

That is just the term that we use. We do have this mystic theme to me.

Yeah, I noticed. It is kind of obvious with this power and that one that allows us to make up custom ‘spells’.

You don’t like it?

It is not that. I was, am a woman of science. I seek knowledge and answers. I want to uncover the secrets of the universe! But my powers allow me to just ignore how the universe works so I have to be careful whenever I use my powers that I don’t mix up what they are doing with whatever the universe is doing.

I understand Abby.

At least we can focus on it. I would much rather research the mysteries of reality and then fight crime or get some government job.

Focusing her power on her sister, Abby lets her power flow into Joan, creating a formal bond between them. She can now sense the backdoor into her mind that gives her full control of her sister.

I won’t use it. At least not for personal gain.

“Whoa,” says Joan as she sits upright and her eyes widen, “Thanks sis!”

Giggling with excitement, Joan climbs out of her bed.

Abby glances over her shoulder at Doctor Henderson and Leonard, both of whom are waiting patiently to see the results.

Doctor Henderson looks impressed while Leonard just looks pleased.

No surprise that. Leonard was the one that got things set up so we even knew that what we just did was a possibility.

Leonard is very good when it comes to helping Joan.

Yeah, better than us and the rest of her family.

Joan squees as she trots around on her feet for the first time in months.

Abby glances at her duplicate while also looking at her main body with said duplicate. What weirds her out is not looking at herself using multiple bodies, but the fact she isn’t weirded out by looking at herself by using multiple bodies.

Having gotten the initial thrill of being able to walk more than a few metres out of her system, Joan rushes over to Leonard and throws her arms around him.

Abby does her best to refrain from blushing as she feels the loving joy from Joan flowing over from their new mental link before damping the link as she has done with all of her other “servants”. And Abby is sure that she wasn’t entirely successful.

For this part, Leonard looks briefly stunned before recovering and hugging his girlfriend back.

Leonard has very good reflexes. I doubt I would have noticed his surprise if it weren’t for my powers.

It comes with his powers from what we know.

“Excuse me, ah, Miss Fowler,” says Doctor Henderson to Abby, “But I need to inspect Joan’s health so I can file a report on it.”

“Of course,” answers Abby with a smile at old man, “Leonard and I can wait outside.”

“Does he have to?” pouts Joan, but Leonard disentangles himself from her.

“Just think of it this way,” says Leonard, “The sooner this is done and out of the way, the sooner we can spend time together outside of here.”

“Oh yeah,” says Joan brightening up, “See you in a bit then.”

“Definitely,” replies Leonard as he heads for the door and Abby follows him, “Any idea on long it will take Doctor Henderson?”

“An hour?” suggests Doctor Henderson, “Maybe more, maybe less. This isn’t exactly something I have done before. And there isn’t exactly a standard precedent for this sort of thing yet.”

Abby and Leonard are both silent as they exit the room.

“You got something on your mind?” inquires Leonard as he leans against the wall next to the door.

How did he know?

Leonard is smart. Very smart as a matter of fact. Probably smarter than us.

“Yes,” answers Abby, “I was thinking that I could hang out with you two sometimes. I haven’t spent as much time with my sister as I could. I could easily send a duplicate and teleport over if needed.”

And I would like to find out more about you Leonard.

“That sounds good, but we wouldn’t exactly be able to do it in public,” replies Leonard.

“Why not?” Abby inquires, slightly confused.

“Because, well,” Leonard scratches the back of his neck as he hesitates, “You don’t, ah, look normal and would pretty much stand out. We wouldn’t be able to hang out normally.”

“Hmm, that is a good point,” concedes Abby as she looks down at her admittedly beautiful body, “But you forget one thing dear Leonard.”

With a single thought, Abby shapeshifts into a slender, but still curvy woman of average height with blue eyes and short black hair. Her jeans, purple sweater and rest of her clothing also change to fit her new form.

I’ll probably use this form when I hang out with Joan and Leonard.

“Oh yeah,” says Leonard, “I forgot you could do that.”

“It is pretty useful for remaining anonymous,” replies Abby, “I’ve been using a lot as my duplicates scout things out for me.”

“So how are you coping with your powers?” asks Leonard, “You’ve had them for roughly a day now and you seem to be very active with them.”

“Really well as a matter of fact,” answers Abby as she switches back to her normal form, “It is strange to just be able to change what I look like on a whim or make myself invisible or just appear anywhere I want to. Not to mention being able to just pass through things, read people’s thoughts and move things with a mere thought. And let’s not forget how impossible it is for me to get hurt in addition to how strong I am or how fast I can move if I really want to. Plus how easy it is for me to become accustomed to it all. Not that it comes naturally or feels natural like it does for some, but I’m getting used to it.”

I know that others have the same sort of natural instincts.

Yes, just look at Leonard aka Gears.

He seems perfectly sane for somebody with multiple sub-personalities in his head and an uncontrollable imagination that would drive anyone else insane.

Perhaps part of his power is to remain sane.

That is possible. If only we could find out for sure.

Leonard is a man of many mysteries.

Not to mention Guardian. I really want to find out the answers to all of the questions they proposed. Such as how much of Leonard’s abilities are part of his main power set and how much is part of his enhanced rating. And what is the level of his enhanced rating for that matter?

Is that your ulterior reason for wishing to spend time with Leonard and Joan? To get answers on Leonard?

I suppose. Don’t you already know that?

I share your knowledge, not your thoughts.

But Leo’s companions all know his thoughts. Unless they aren’t companions, but just parts of his mind.

Actually they are both. Leonard’s sub personalities are both his companions and parts of his mind. I am different. I am your companion, but I am not you.

Should I be worried about that?

No. While I may not be part of your, I will aid you loyally. I am from the Benevolent, but the Schemer or Destroyer.

Will I get answers from you on those people if they are even people?

In time.

Urrrgh!

1 comment:

  1. So this interlude mainly shows three things. The first a plot thing as we see how Joan gets sort of healed. The second is showing Abby's point of view. While she won't be a secondary character, she will be a minor character and from what I got planned, her view on things won't be obvious in future chapters so this interlude will be your best bet on saying Abby's point of view on the world. The third is to show an outside view on Leo since his powers would be hard to figure out without any inside knowledge. Anything else I have to say should be noticable from reading the interlude and if it is, I didn't get my writing entirely right.

    Anyway, in the next interlude, Glowbug asks out Guardian.

    ReplyDelete