Friday 8 January 2016

1.8 Dances Part 6

“As you can see, it is written in a completely foreign language in addition to not being able to change it with my power,” continues Naomi.

“I can read it,” says Legacy as she passes the book back to Naomi.

“Wait what?” says Naomi blankly as she stares Legacy in utter confusion.

“It is written in the language that Legacy here uses,” notes Leo as he looks over at the cover, “The one she uses instinctively in her programming and documentation at least.”

“I don’t understand what is going on,” says Naomi, “Guardian can read this? And who is Legacy?”

“I suppose I ought to explain Guardian’s background,” says Leo with a hint of weariness in his voice.

So, with some input from Legacy, Leo explains how Legacy is actually a half-human half-alien hybrid, how she has lost most of her memories and just other areas of her background.

Leo is better at explaining it than I am. Probably because he knows what isn’t considered normal and therefore should be mentioned. Unlike myself.

“I should tell you about my own background then,” says Naomi as she gazes at Legacy, “I assume Leo hasn’t told you yet.”

“No, he has not,” replies Legacy with a slight shake of her head, “I only arrive here in the last few minutes. Not enough time except for the briefest of explanations.”

“Where to start,” mutters Naomi.

“Start with your original past up to how you got your powers and then explain the changes you made to create your current past,” suggests Leo.

“Good idea,” says Naomi, “Thanks. Well, I lived in Florida my whole life and I got my powers at the start of the year. And I kept them secret from everybody once I realised how powerful they were. I also promised myself that I wouldn’t do anything major with them since I wouldn’t know the consequences. So I have limited myself to minor things when I use my power. Such as making my family win the lottery, giving myself a drop dead gorgeous body, making my grades-”

“So you’re not an Aphrodite?” inquires Legacy.

“No, as far as reality is concerned, I got this body naturally by being born with it,” answers Naomi, “And I can prove it by having photos of me looking like this before then. It can be a bit weird for me to have this body as times, but my power lets me perfectly remember all of the timelines I have created without going insane. Pretty cool as I have prefect recall now.”

“So why are you are here then,” asks Legacy.

“Well,” says Naomi, “When I realised that certain people weren’t affected by my power, I got worried because if people aren’t affected, I’m pretty much helpless. So while you two are good people and I don’t need to worry about the two of you, if some people are immune to my power, there might be more. And I don’t think all of them will be as nice as you. So I figured if I moved up here close to you two guys, we got could come to an arrangement.”

“Which we have,” says Leo, “In exchange for providing protection to her, Naomi will provide assistance in minor matters. Such creating several deposits of raw materials for me to access. And not just existing there, but actually making them appear out of thin air.”

“Can you heal Joan?” asks Legacy, deciding to ask the obvious question.

“No,” answers Naomi, “She is too closely tied to Leo for me to affect her. In that regard, she is indirectly protected from my power by Leo’s own protection.”

“What Naomi has been able to do is provide Abigail with a list of all of her powers,” says Leo, “So now Abigail is using her powers that Naomi has discovered for her to help Joan. But we should let Naomi finish her story first before we explain that.”

“Right, so where was-oh yeah,” says Naomi, “So I changed things so my family moved up here once we won the lottery a year ago. It isn’t as bad as it sounds because I have kept all my old memories and have used my power to make sure I have kept in contact with all of my friends.”

“So what about Joan and Abigail?” inquires Legacy.

“Well, using my power, I was able to uncover all of Abigail’s powers so she now she knows all of them,” says Naomi.

“So can she heal Joan?” asks Legacy.

“Not directly,” answers Leo, “But she has the ability to create ‘servants’. Basically it allows Abigail to empowered people, creatures or objects into her ‘servants’. This grants them several pseudo-powers by piggybacking off of Abigail’s power in addition to giving Abigail a direct link into their minds.”

“Oh,” says Legacy.

Check what that mental link means.

Okay.

“So what exactly does-” Legacy.

“While becoming Abigail’s servant allows her to take control of your body, she and Joan are sisters,” says Leo, “I trust her especially since this is Joan best shot at a normal life.”

Plus we all know how far Leo will go to protect Joan.

Do you agree or disagree with what he is willing to do?

I neither agree nor disagree, I simple understand.

Oh, okay.

“I’m going to go and meet Joan now,” declares Leo as he heads for the door, “You two hang out. Perhaps Naomi can help you with your knowledge problem.”

Hmmm, Leo has a good idea there...

It won’t work.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, so this segment, along with the following two interludes, brings Chapter Eight to a close. Chapter Eight is light on plot mainly because I had two characters that got my interest and I wanted to included. Why might you ask? Because I am the author here and I wanted to include these two characters I enjoyed created in my work.

    Anyway, Naomi or Chronicler as Leo will code-name her is going to be one of those powerful bystander types simply because she is too powerful. Still, as I mentioned in the comment of the last segment, I do have a couple of future sub-plots that are tailored to include her.

    Next time we will have an interlude from Abigail's point of view as she 'heals' Joan.

    ReplyDelete